Thursday, January 10, 2013

Life with MS 01/2013

Today I realize how my life has been different with the long fight with MS. With the help of the MS Center, I have been able to have the best MS Neurologist in the country as my doctor and also enter a class call MS 101 with other people who learned they have to live as a person with MS.

First the doctor - Dr. Vollmer is at University of Colorado Hospital. He participates in teaching resident doctors about neurology, holds MS testing groups on trying to find a cure for MS and is the President of the MS Center. I have seen him once, however, P.A. Melissa always tells me he looked at my file. I feel like the people there actually care, which I rarely feel in a medical environment any more.

Second is the MS 101 class - This course answered a lot of questions about what MS is, what to expect in life, what drugs are out there to slow down the process, what groups are available to participate in and what kind of help is available for a person with MS. Pretty sweet.

In July, I finally started a MS therapy (which is just a fancy name of a drug that has proven to slow down the process of MS) called Copaxone. This is a daily injection drug that is supposed to slow down the worsening of MS by 33%. I am no longer afraid of needles as this is something I have to do to myself on a daily basis. I am not sure if the medicine is working at all as it doesn't make you feel any different then before you take it. Here is hoping it is working.

No comments: